It is very easy to learn how to do oil painting. If the art is just starting, then you might be overwhelmed by the idea of how much work you need to put into the process.
It is not as complicated as it may seem. To achieve the best results, you only need to know the basics.
You don’t have to pay anyone else
The good thing about art is that nobody else has to work for you. You can do it on your own, as long as you are dedicated to making it a skill that you will use on a regular basis. There are many good resources online that will help you learn how to do oil painting by we will fix it.
Infuse your painting
I like to start off with a process called infusing your painting. This is where you paint your canvas using oil paints that are infused with different colors of paint, so that you can mix and match them to get the look that you want.
You can use a light blue paint or even paint your canvas of blue or green. Once you start, you will find a range of choices.
Choice of colors is important
- A good starting point for your color choices is to use the colors of your favorite flowers or animals. Some people go crazy with this, but if you don’t have the time to dedicate to this method, then I would recommend that you use a neutral color, which can be just about any color. Before you get started, you should make sure you are happy with the outcome.
- Once you have the good colors down, you can now start to add them to your canvas. Use a palette knife to make holes in the canvas so that you can insert the painted oil paint in the holes and let it dry. After it has dried, you can then apply the next layer of color.
- Once all the colors have been applied, you should brush your brush across the canvas to allow your paint to blend in. You should only apply one layer of paint at a time. If you apply too many layers at once, you might end up with streaks or too much of a color.
Cut out your shapes
- While your brush is wet, you should also use a palette knife to cut out your shapes. The ideas for your shapes are as simple as what you have in your head.
- As long as you use these shapes, you can use them on your canvas for as long as you like. One good tip is not to put too much paint in the hole.
- This will make the next layer dry quickly, which will make it difficult to paint the next layer. Let the first layer dry for a while, and then apply the next edge of paint.
- You can add shading to the picture with this method, by using different shades of a color or using lighter and darker colors in different places.
- This can give your picture a nice subtle shading effect. When you are finished, you should remove the brush and place the wet brush on the canvas to let it dry.
I hope this guide on how to do oil painting has helped you. If you are looking for more painting tips, then you should check out my blog below.